HOW MUCH YOU CARE ABOUT MATHEMATICS

IT’S MATHEMATICS – HOW MUCH DO YOU CARE?


“Hey look at the clock, it’s 6. Playtime!”, saying this Tom runs out to play.
“It’s a 30% Sale on Apparels, let’s go buy some new clothes”, mom tells my dad.
“Do you remember my birthday?”, my wife says tauntingly.
“Let’s divide the pizza into 8 slices”, Frank says while opening the box.
I think everybody hear these lines sometimes in their lives. These are all numbers. Our lives, happiness, sadness, relationships, all revolve around these numbers. Sometimes these numbers are favorable and sometimes not. How can we then not like mathematics? That’s better said than done. I hope you are getting my point. Just like a boring mathematics teacher, I am reinforcing that Mathematics is very important in our lives. Oh dear! I called myself boring. But when I see those blank faces of students in mathematics class, I start to doubt my ability as a mathematics teacher.
What then needs to be done is a matter of debate and discussion. Somebody may say that you need to make mathematics interesting, someone else may ask to make it practical and so on. Still not getting anywhere and finding no solution to this everyday classroom problem.
Question also arises as to what changes are to be made to the curriculum or the method of teaching or the technology used. We have wonderful classrooms, conducive environment, multimedia and technological equipment, qualified and experienced teachers but still those blank faces make me feel dejected. See, I have brought you to a point where you might have started to reflect upon this fundamental issue in teaching mathematics. I am not a pessimist my dear friends. I love this subject so much that I want to do something for my love (mathematics).  
My work here is done. I am not here to give any suggestions. I want you my fellow teachers to reflect upon this issue and share your classroom experiences and what you have done for improving mathematics learning.
FIND ME AT
http://www.mathguide.org
https://www.facebook.com/MathGuideAmit/
https://twitter.com/amitkd1234
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111291537433936389704

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CORRELATION OF MATHEMATICS WITH OTHER SUBJECTS

MATH PROBLEM SOLVING

OBJECTIVES OF TEACHING MATHEMATICS